Wednesday 19 December 2007

Clear run today.

6 locks, and 4½ miles. Now moored at Marsworth

We made an earlier than usual start today. It had been quite mild overnight so there was no sign of any ice. We also knew that we had a long run through the Tring cutting before reaching the Marsworth flight. As usual we were the only boat on the move.

The old lock keepers house part way down the flight was a pleasant surprise with all its Christmas Santa's, reindeer and Guardsmen at the door.

We are now moored above lock 39 alongside the reservoirs. Mid afternoon and 2 boats passed us, 1 in each direction and some time later we began to list quite badly. I went off to see if I could find the problem without success. As I started to let some water down from lock 40 another boat came through heading North so I helped them before letting some more water down.

While Dot prepared dinner I went back to lock 40 to let some more water down and found that a paddle had been opened and left open by persons unknown. After I had let another lockful of water go I closed it all down but will have to monitor the situation in case we take on a list again later in the night.

850 locks, 1150.25miles, 33 Tunnels, 40 swing bridges and 19 lift bridges since Nov 2006

No comments: